Sometimes you just want to start the day with chocolate.
Chocolate Swirl Coffee Cake
3 cups flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tblsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 - 2 tblsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir the milk, eggs and oil together and add to the flour mixture.
- Mix well. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Add the cocoa powder to the reserved mixture.
- Dot the unbaked cake with the chocolate batter.
- Drag a knife through the batter, spreading and swirling the chocolate batter through the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon
topping evenly over the mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
After you remove the cake from the oven drizzle with the chocolate glaze.
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tblsp. butter
Combine utilizing a pastry cutter until uniform and crumbly.
1 Cup sifted powdered sugar
2 - 4 tblsp milk
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 - 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Combine powdered sugar, flavoring, cocoa powder and enough milk to form the desired consistency.