4 cups flour
1 Tblsp sea salt
1 Tblsp instant dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (about 105 degrees)
1 Tblsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sugar (for proofing the yeast)
1 tsp garlic powder or 4 roasted crushed cloves
2 red peppers, remove seeds and pith
1 onion cut in half and thinly sliced
2 cups black olives
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Generously oil a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Put 1/2 cup of the warm water in a measuring cup, stir in the yeast, sprinkle the sugar over it. Wait about 5 minutes for the yeast to proof, it will increase in volume and froth.
- In the meantime, add the flour, salt and garlic to a mixing bowl with the dough hook attached.
- When the yeast mixture is ready, add it to the flour mixture along with the remaining water and olive oil.
- Knead on a low speed for about 6 minutes. The bread dough will be quite sticky, but it will clear the bowl.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Gently deflate the bread dough.
- Spread it into the prepared pan. If it begins to fight back as you spread it, wait 10 minutes and resume. Sometimes the dough needs to rest.
- Brush a little olive oil over the bread dough.
- Place the peppers, onions, and olives on the bread pushing them gently into the dough.
- Cover and let the bread rise for about 45 minutes.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.