Falling back in time is such a delicious sounding prospect. You actually gain an entire hour in your day. I dream up plans for that extra hour for about a week ahead. In reality, that hour seems to just get absorbed into the day, although, I did have time to try out a few new recipes this weekend.
The potato soup I made yesterday was the perfect addition to a crisp, cold, clear November day. It was particularly creamy with just enough pepper. The grated sharp cheddar cheese added to the hearty nature of this soup.
My potato soup recipe was inspired by Melissa over at Pretty Yummy Foods. She always has a wonderful recipe or fun story to share. Melissa was recently crowned Ms. Auburn. I don't know about you but I'm pretty impressed that a busy mom has the discipline to not only prepare for but win such a pageant. Kudos to you, Melissa.
Creamy Potato Soup
8-10 Yukon Gold Potatoes (cut into bite size pieces)
1 onion, diced
3 medium carrots, cut into thin disks
3 stalks of celery, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
7 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 cup white wine
- Saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in about 5 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and incorporate it into the oil as if you were making a roux.
- Pour the broth, milk, and wine into the pot.
- Add the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the pepper and thyme over the soup and stir.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Stir, again. Let the soup simmer for at least one hour.
- Serve with grated sharp cheddar cheese.