Do you have a recipe that just has your name on it? Maybe it's some terrific complicated dish you like to serve when you want to make someone feel special. Or, perhaps it's a family recipe handed down through generations.
Well, I asked my daughter what dish she thought of when she pictured me making my signature recipe. She replied without hesitation, rice. The rice I have made forever. No frills, no fuss, no recipe needed, rice. It wasn't the answer I expected. But it's a comforting knowing I can please her with such an easy dish.
White Rice with Chardonnay and Herbs
2 Cups white rice
4 Cups liquid - always utilize a 1/2 ratio of rice to liquid; this will allow you to easily multiply the recipe
1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
1 Clove garlic, crushed
6-8 Tablespoons of butter
4 Tablespoons fresh herbs: I usually use thyme and oregano, but experiment.
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a 2-3 quart pan with a well-fitting lid saute the onion and garlic in the butter.
- Add the rice and brown it for about 2 minutes or until it becomes transparent.
- Meanwhile, prepare the liquid: you need a mixture of chicken broth and wine. I usually use 3 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of chardonnay. You can adjust this to suit your taste.
- Now, slowly add the liquid to the rice.
- Add the herbs, pepper, and lemon juice and gently mix.
- Cover the rice and cook over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed. This takes about 20 minutes.
You can really be creative with rice. Try varying your herbs or the wine to change the flavor of this dish. You can easily double the recipe. Just remember that for every cup of rice you need 2 cups of liquid.
What recipe has your name on it?